about the lab
Since 2010, Genspace has provided lab space to independent researchers, scientists, artists, designers, entrepreneurs, hobbyists, teachers and students. In 2017 we moved to a new facility in Sunset Park where we can provide even more space and resources to our members.
Our lab follows Biosafety Level 1 guidelines. Learn more about becoming a member here. Starting in February 2018, we are also supporting several Community Projects for members who want to work on group research.
We freely provide supplies and equipment including:
- Plate reader
- Refrigerators, -20 and -80°C Freezers
- Liquid N2 storage
- Clean hood
- OpenTrons Liquid Handling Robot
- Micropipettors and Tabletop Centrifuges
- DNA and protein gel electrophoresis equipment
- Thermocyclers, including qPCR machine
- Heat Blocks and Water Baths
- Separate incubators for microbiology, mycology, plant, and mammalian tissue culture
- Centrifuge tubes (1.5, 15 & 50 mL) and spectrophotometer cuvettes
- 5, 10 and 25 mL serological pipettes
- Petri Dishes
- Pipette tips
- Defined and Complex Bacterial Media +/- Agar
- Selection antibiotics (Amp, Kan. Chlor)
- Agarose, loading buffer, DNA ladders, 50x TAE, gel stains
- Assorted buffers and common reagents
To Request lab access, Please complete the form FOUND HERE
join the lab
All are welcome to work in our biolab on their own project. Members receive 24/7 access to Genspace's facility, equipment, and basic lab training from our staff. Work on anything biological as long as it meets the NIH’s Biosafety Level 1 guidelines.
If you are interested in becoming a member in order to contribute to a Community Project, then our Basic Membership, at $100/month, is right for you. If you have your own research to conduct in our lab, then our Full Membership, at $350/month, is the best fit. For businesses we offer an $800/month membership, which includes desk space outside the lab. Read more about our membership tiers below and apply by filling out this form.
Applications for membership are reviewed on a rolling basis. After receiving your responses, our lab manager will reach out to schedule a meeting and lab walk through. If you are interested in becoming a member but have no previous lab experience, we recommend taking one of our introductory courses, the Biohacker Boot Camp or Biotech Crash Course.